SOPHIA is an international association of individuals and organizations that provides leadership and promotes excellence in the field of health impact assessment (HIA). In 2021, SOPHIA celebrated our 10th anniversary. Read on to learn more about SOPHIA and see how we’re celebrating our ten years of work. We hope you join us at an upcoming event!
HIA is one important strategy to advance the systematic consideration of health implications of decisions and promote collaboration across a range of sectors, often referred to as Health in All Policies (HiAP). We develop valuable, high-quality resources that help build capacity among HIA practitioners, support networking and peer mentoring opportunities among our members, and keep members up to date on resources, training, and technical assistance opportunities. SOPHIA is open to HIA and HiAP practitioners, researchers, and advocates with all levels of experience. By promoting the thorough and systematic consideration of health in decision-making across a range of sectors, SOPHIA works to reduce health inequities and achieve better health for all. We invite you to become a part of our growing global network! Click here to learn more about membership.
Upcoming SOPHIA member events
Join SOPHIA's Member Services Committee for a social hour! We'll toast to the new year and preview the exciting SOPHIA events coming up in 2022.
Health in All Policies in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania: A Local Health Department’s Perspective
Join us on March 23 at 2 pm ET to hear from Hannah Hardy and colleagues about the health in all policies work at the Allegheny County Health Department.
Registration information is available here https://hiasociety.org/Member-events. These events are open to SOPHIA members; you must be logged into your SOPHIA account to access the registration page.
SOPHIA can help you connect with others using HIA and other HiAP strategies and stay up to date on resources and opportunities. Among other benefits, SOPHIA members receive:
• A regular newsletter highlighting new resources, upcoming events, job announcements, grant opportunities, and more
• Access to the members-only sections of the website, including the events and the SOPHIA member directory which lists practitioners worldwide
• Opportunities to advertise conferences, job openings, recently completed projects, and other resources in SOPHIA's newsletter
• Networking events to connect with other practitioners, including social gatherings at conferences and an active LinkedIn group
• Access to mentorship opportunities from experienced practitioners
• Eligibility for discounts and scholarships for SOPHIA’s Practitioner Workshop and other events
• Opportunity to build your professional network and demonstrate your connections to the HiAP field and commitment to excellence in the practice