SOPHIA is an international association of individuals and organizations that provides leadership and promotes excellence in the field of health impact assessment (HIA). In 2021, SOPHIA is celebrating our 10th anniversary. Read on to learn more about SOPHIA and see how we’re celebrating our tenth year. We hope you join us at an upcoming event!
HIA is one important strategy to advance the systematic consideration of health implications of decisions and promote collaboration across a range of sectors, often referred to as Health in All Policies (HiAP). We develop valuable, high-quality resources that help build capacity among HIA practitioners, support networking and peer mentoring opportunities among our members, and keep members up to date on resources, training, and technical assistance opportunities. SOPHIA is open to HIA and HiAP practitioners, researchers, and advocates with all levels of experience. By promoting the thorough and systematic consideration of health in decision-making across a range of sectors, SOPHIA works to reduce health inequities and achieve better health for all. We invite you to become a part of our growing global network! Click here to learn more about membership.
SOPHIA’s 10th Anniversary
We kicked off our tenth year as an organization by launching a webinar series. The first event featured the Minimum Elements and Practice Standards revision. Click here to learn more about the update and view a webinar recording. Our summer event will feature an update from the Health in All Policies working group.
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we will be taking our practitioner workshop online this fall/early winter. We will miss the opportunity to gather in-person but also see potential for expanded practitioner workshop offerings in a virtual setting. Contact Emily Bever to join the practitioner workshop planning committee!
To celebrate our tenth year, we are offering a $10 fee to all new members! Take advantage of this great discount today. Read more about membership benefits below.
SOPHIA can help you connect with others using HIA in their work and stay up to date on HIA resources and opportunities. Among other benefits, SOPHIA members receive:
• A regular newsletter highlighting new HIA resources, upcoming events, job announcements, grant opportunities, and more
• Access to the members-only sections of the website, including the SOPHIA member directory which lists HIA practitioners worldwide
• Opportunities to advertise conferences, job openings, recently completed HIAs, and other resources in the SOPHIA newsletter
• Networking events to connect with other HIA practitioners, including social gatherings at conferences and an active LinkedIn group
• Access to mentorship opportunities from experienced practitioners
• Eligibility for discounts and scholarships for SOPHIA’s Practitioner Workshop
• Opportunity to build your professional network and demonstrate your connections to the HIA profession and commitment to excellence in the practice of HIA