SOPHIA is an international association of individuals and organizations that provides leadership and promotes excellence in the field of health impact assessment (HIA) and Health in All Policies (HiAP). A health impact assessments (HIA) is a method used to measure the potential health effects of a project, policy, program, or change on a certain population. HIAs are often used within vulnerable or historically disadvantaged populations. HIAs are participatory and collect and use qualitative and quantitative data to make recommendations to policy- and decision-makers. Through promotion of democracy, equity, sustainable development, and the ethical use of evidence, HIAs provide a valuable way to engage with affected communities and promote health. Learn more about HIAs.
HIA is one important strategy to advance the systematic consideration of health implications of decisions and promote collaboration across a range of sectors, often referred to as Health in All Policies (HiAP). SOPHIA develops valuable, high-quality resources that help build capacity among HIA practitioners, support networking and peer mentoring opportunities among our members, and keep members up to date on resources, training, and technical assistance opportunities. SOPHIA is open to HIA and HiAP practitioners, researchers, and advocates with all levels of experience. By promoting the thorough and systematic consideration of health in decision-making across a range of sectors, SOPHIA works to reduce health inequities and achieve better health for all. We invite you to become a part of our growing global network! Click here to learn more about membership.
SOPHIA can help you connect with others using HIA and other HiAP strategies and stay up to date on resources and opportunities. Among other benefits, SOPHIA members receive:
- A regular newsletter highlighting new resources, upcoming events, job announcements, grant opportunities, and more;
- Access to the members-only sections of the website, including the events and the SOPHIA member directory which lists practitioners worldwide;
- Opportunities to advertise conferences, job openings, recently completed projects, and other resources in SOPHIA's newsletter;
- Networking events to connect with other practitioners, including social gatherings at conferences and an active LinkedIn group;
- Access to mentorship opportunities from experienced practitioners;
- Eligibility for discounts and scholarships for SOPHIA’s Practitioner Workshop and other events; and
- Opportunity to build your professional network and demonstrate your connections to the HiAP field and commitment to excellence in the practice.
Find out what these letters stand for here.
(By completing the information below, you are signing up to receive occasional emails from SOPHIA. We promise we won't share your information with anyone.)